A healthy weight enhances one’s ability to meet the demands of regular life. The most important reason for being underweight is obesity or being overweight. Exercise is one of the essential strategies if one wants to lose excess weight. Around 650 million people worldwide suffer from obesity, making it a common health problem. Obesity is associated with many health conditions with adverse effects on the human body.
There are many other reasons why people want to lose weight, such as looking better, feeling healthier, etc. Consuming healthy foods and exercising regularly will help a person achieve his goals. Consistency and discipline are essential keys to effective weight loss.
best exercise for weight loss
The major cause of obesity is insufficient physical activity. The sedentary nature of most businesses results in overweight. Physical exercise and activity helps to burn extra calories to keep our weight under control. There are many types of physical activities that help in weight loss. The best types of exercises for weight loss are listed below.
Aerobics is a form of physical exercise that elevates the heart rate and improves cardiovascular and cardiorespiratory conditioning. It increases pain tolerance and bone density, improves blood circulation and lowers blood pressure. It also enhances optimum oxygen consumption and as a result, it effectively reduces body fat leading to weight loss. Aerobic exercise includes indoor and outdoor physical activities such as walking, jogging, running, cycling, dancing, swimming, jumping rope, stair climbing, rowing and interval training.
Whereas low-intensity aerobic exercise burns more calories due to increased duration of training, high-intensity aerobic exercise increases metabolic rate which in turn helps to burn more calories throughout the day.
Studies suggest that high-intensity interval training is more effective at altering body composition and increases the release of catecholamines and growth hormone. This addition increases post-exercise oxygen consumption as well as increases lipoprotein lipase activity. Hence, it results in fat loss which helps in reducing the body weight significantly.
strength/resistance training workout
Strength/resistance training helps to increase strength, range of motion, flexibility and mobility of muscles, tendons and ligaments. It increases bone density, heart function, fitness and metabolic rate. Increased flexibility and mobility of joints reduce the risk of injury. It involves pushing and pulling objects against resistance to build strength and muscular endurance. Some of the best exercises for building muscle and losing weight/fat are squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, push-ups and Olympic lifts.
research shows that strength training helps with weight loss by increasing the resting metabolic rate, total energy expenditure and maximal oxygen consumption. Therefore, this training is ideal for long-term weight loss success.
Yoga is a holistic approach for long term results. It stimulates mind-body awareness and mind concentration. In addition, regular yoga practice effectively lowers the body mass index in obese people. Yoga is a low-impact exercise for weight loss. It reduces stress and lowers cortisol levels, which are responsible for weight gain.
research demonstrated that yoga combined with dietary interventions significantly reduced body weight and body mass index in obese and overweight children and adults. In addition, it improves weight management and behavior such as self-control, reducing emotional eating and reducing food intake. These prevention strategies reduce the consumption of extra calories by curbing the craving for food leading to weight loss. Apart from this, yoga also strengthens and corrects the posture.
Some examples of yoga postures for weight loss are Surya Namaskar, Plank Pose, Warrior Pose, Triangle Pose, Downward Dog Pose, Bridge Pose, Bow Pose, Chair Pose and Cobra Pose.
Zumba is a fun form of exercise to lose body weight. This is a Latin-inspired dance fitness workout consisting of low to high intensity moves. As a full-body aerobic workout, it helps in burning calories and reducing body fat. In addition, Zumba training also increases maximal oxygen consumption and improves flexibility and cardiorespiratory fitness.
Studies Let us tell you that doing Zumba thrice a week helps in reducing weight by about 3 kg in a month. In addition, it significantly reduces the total body fat percentage in women.
dietary recommendations for weight loss
The basic principle behind weight loss is to expend more energy (calories) than you consume. Therefore, diet management for those who want to lose weight includes several components such as a high protein and fiber, low to moderate carbohydrate and low fat diet. Here are some dietary recommendations for weight loss:
- Individuals should improve their dietary patterns that include optimal nutrient delivery. Small dietary changes can improve blood sugar levels, blood pressure and insulin sensitivity, and reduce blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Low glycemic index fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein foods, nuts, coconut and olive oil can help maintain weight.
- Individuals should reduce their food intake by 400-500 calories per day. The recommended dietary intake in a calorie deficit diet is typically 1200–1500 kcal/day for women and 1500–1800 kcal/day for men. But these numbers can vary depending on several factors. Studies Show that a calorie-controlled diet helps with weight loss and maintenance. The body uses stored fat as an alternative energy to perform body functions. Burning fat for energy ultimately leads to weight loss.
- Eating fiber-rich foods makes a person feel full for longer and improves metabolism. High-fiber foods usually have fewer calories. Fiber is present in fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, pulses, legumes and meats. Studies show that eating a high-fiber diet reduces the frequency of food consumption and promotes weight loss.
- Avoid drinking sugary and carbonated drinks such as soda, fruit juices and alcoholic beverages. These drinks and beverages contain excessive sugar and are considered empty calories, resulting in weight gain and other metabolic diseases.
- Restrict consumption of highly processed foods such as fast food, desserts, breakfast cereals and fried foods.
- Eating a protein-rich diet can reduce appetite and increase feelings of satiety. In addition, it reduces the intake of extra calories and helps in losing weight effectively.
- Drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal reduces food intake, promotes portion control and helps with weight loss. research It shows that pre-meal water intake reduces energy consumption in middle-aged and older adults.
long term success
Long-term success in weight management depends on the individual engaging in a specific follow-up program. It is important to maintain a regular exercise routine for at least 30-60 minutes daily. In addition, portion control is an important factor in losing weight. Eating healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, pulses and whole grains and reducing your intake of energy-rich foods such as fried foods, beverages and sugary drinks helps with weight management.
It is essential to get guidance from nutrition consultants for weight management.
We must be persistent in our efforts to lose weight. In addition, we should enjoy the exercises we choose to sustain over the long term.
A sedentary lifestyle often results in insufficient physical activity. Being inactive increases the risk of weight gain, which is a significant risk factor for chronic metabolic diseases. There are many factors in overcoming an inactive lifestyle and reducing obesity. Proper diet and exercise regimen helps in effective weight loss.
Adopting healthy lifestyle choices, including physical activity, modified diets, optimal nutrition and stress-relieving treatments, are effective ways to lose weight. The main component of a weight management program is to prevent unwanted weight gain. The most effective way to lose weight involves consistency and discipline, which are the keys to successful weight loss.