Like the famous saying “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”, we can coin another: “Drinking an apple cider a day keeps the fat away”. We all know that apples are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. So apple cider vinegar, has gained tremendous popularity among health enthusiasts. After all, it has many benefits. Let’s explore them.
Apple Cider Vinegar: An Overview
Apple cider vinegar is apple juice that has a two-stage fermentation process to turn it into vinegar. Mashed apples are first mixed with yeast and unrefined sugars to make wine. The alcohol is then fermented into acetic acid by the addition of microorganisms.
Acetic acid, the main active ingredient in apple cider vinegar, has a distinct odor and is known to reduce belly fat and suppress the buildup of body fat. The Latin word acetum, meaning vinegar, is where the word “acetic” first appeared. Apple vinegar contains 5-6% acetic acid. There is also small amounts of water and other acids such as malic acid.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Weight Loss
For thousands of years, vinegar-containing compounds were used for their purported therapeutic benefits. For example, they were used as an antibiotic to increase strength, for “poisoning”, and even as a therapy for scurvy. However, recently apple cider vinegar has been accepted for weight loss. according to a study On the connection between apple cider vinegar and weight loss, the acetic acid created during the beverage’s fermentation process may help reduce appetite and burn fat.
Following are some of the benefits of apple cider vinegar that make it excellent for weight loss:
Reduces sugar reactivity and increases satiety
Apple cider vinegar may help people consume fewer calories by encouraging satiety. One hour after eating, when vinegar is mixed with a high-carb meal, the blood sugar response is reduced by 55%. As a result, there is a deficit of 200–275 calories in the rest of the day’s caloric intake. In addition to reducing appetite, apple cider vinegar also slows down the rate at which food leaves your stomach.
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar provides only three calories, no fat, and little carbohydrate. Therefore, given the calorie-in, calorie-out relationship, it does not significantly increase the calories consumed. Additionally, since it doesn’t have additives, you don’t need to focus on too much sugar that can hinder your efforts to lose weight.
Reduces Fat Buildup
according to a studyAcetic acid, which makes up the majority of this vinegar, prevents the buildup of fat. As a result, it reduces the chances of weight gain and may prevent the development of metabolic syndrome.
The HealthifyMe Note
The main component of apple cider vinegar that is ingested is acetic acid. To combat body fat, it speeds up your body’s metabolism. Its ability to increase metabolism and quell hunger is well known to support weight loss.
What is the recommended amount of Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is widely endorsed by weight loss, but that doesn’t mean we go crazy with it. Start by dissolving 1 or 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water while drinking it. Then, you can gradually increase the amount to 1-2 tablespoons daily. The best time to consume apple cider vinegar is one hour before a meal.
If drinking vinegar makes you uneasy, consider adding it to your meals instead. For example, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your smoothie, or you can add it to salads or steamed vegetables.
Since apple cider vinegar has a high acidity level, you should always dilute it with water or drink it immediately after drinking it to prevent enamel damage.
How Does Too Much Apple Cider Vinegar Affect You?
Consuming more than 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar daily for a long period of time can lead to several health complications.
- The high acidity of vinegar can cause or exacerbate acid reflux for some people.
- Diabetics with altered insulin levels may experience hypoglycemia if they take too many medications consistently over time.
- Large doses of apple cider vinegar may contain excessive amounts of acid, which some people with chronic kidney disease may not be able to process.
- People who take diuretics, such as those included in medicines for high blood pressure, should be careful about how much apple cider vinegar they take.
Recipes to try
Apple Cider Vinegar Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Apple Cider Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- water: cup
- Apple peeled and chopped: 1 cup
- Avocado: 2 tbsp
- Blend two fruits and apple cider vinegar in a blender.
- serve chilled.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Marinade Time: 2 hours
- Cucumbers, thinly sliced: 2-3
- Tomatoes, chopped : 3
- Water: 1 cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar: cup
- Salt : a pinch
- Black pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil: 1 tsp
- Parsley chopped: cup
- Onion, thinly sliced (optional): cup
- Put the vegetables in a bowl.
- Whisk together water, vinegar, salt, pepper and oil.
- Pour liquid mixture over vegetables and mix.
- Place it in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, and decant it with a few tablespoons of the remaining liquid.
- Add herbs. Serve and enjoy!
Marinated Vegetables with Apple Cider Vinegar
Prep Time: 15 minutes (Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.)
- Yellow summer squash: 2
- Water: 4 cups
- Cucumber: 1
- Salt: 4 tbsp
- Carrot: 1 medium sized
- Red Radish: 10
- Thyme: 4 stems
- Garlic cloves: 2 (finely chopped)
- Apple cider vinegar: 1½ cups
- Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- After washing the vegetables, chop the cucumbers and squash.
- Add two tablespoons of salt to the strainer along with your chopped vegetables. Filter it and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash the vegetables in a sieve with plenty of water.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots and radishes, then mix with squash and cucumber.
- Put 1-2 stalks of thyme, some garlic and coriander seeds in each jar. Fill the jar with vegetables, leaving -inch space at the top.
- To make vinaigrette, boil four cups of water with vinegar and 2 tablespoons of salt. Cook till the salt dissolves completely.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables in the jars until the liquid covers them.
- Cover it and let it cool for 24 hours before serving.
The HealthifyMe Note
Health influencers vouch for ACV’s effectiveness in weight loss. However, it does not promote weight loss immediately. It should be combined with a calorie deficit diet or a weight loss friendly diet to get maximum results. It should be noted that ACV can make you eat less. It is easy to incorporate apple cider vinegar as a weight loss drink. Make sure to consume a tablespoon of this drink before breakfast. Be careful not to consume more than two tablespoons and remember that it has been diluted.
Apple cider vinegar is like a magic potion for weight loss. Consuming apple cider vinegar in the right quantity and with care provides many benefits. According to several scientific studies, apple cider vinegar, especially when combined with calorie restriction, can help people achieve their desired weight goals.