Is watermelon one of your favorite summer fruits? Of course, enjoying a small bowl or slice of watermelon is a great way to beat the scorching heat during summers. But did you know that watermelon helps in weight loss? Yes, you read it right!
Although it is sweet, watermelons are not fattening. To set the record straight, this is a great dessert option for people looking to lose weight. Eating a slice for watermelon enthusiasts brings back childhood summer memories. For those following a low-fat diet, watermelon can be a low-calorie way to satisfy your sweet tooth without running the risk of weight gain.
The best thing about watermelon is its accessibility. Watermelons are available all over the world. They are extremely popular. As summer approaches, you can never go to a fruit vendor without a watermelon display.
what do we know?
Watermelon is an excellent source of antioxidants and may help prevent heart disease and cancer. It is also rich in minerals and vitamins which are wonderful for your blood circulation. Not only that, you can also eat its seeds and rind! They’re easy to roast and eat if you’re on the go.
You know that watermelon is a popular fruit, but do you know why it feels so good to eat a piece of watermelon during the summer? 92% of the weight of a watermelon is water. That’s a lot of water! Due to the high water content, eating watermelon keeps you hydrated. And studies Support the hypothesis of consistent hydration and weight loss.
Curious to know how watermelon helps with weight loss? read on.
The main idea is that one serving, about 100 grams of watermelon, contains about 30 calories, or just 40-46 calories per cup. So for those who are trying to limit calories, watermelon is a low-calorie food that is unlikely to contribute to weight gain. Also, the high water content in the fruit keeps you satiated for a longer period of time. Every time you feel like those sugar cravings have started, eating a watermelon might do the trick. In addition, watermelon is an excellent source of arginine, an amino acid that is extremely helpful in burning fat quickly. However, eating is mandatory, which means that there is no question of eating a whole watermelon.
The HealthifyMe Note
Watermelon has many health benefits. It mainly consists of water, which means you can get all the hydration you need from the fruit, and it’s also very low in calories. Also, increasing the amount of arginine in the blood after consuming watermelon can help reduce fat deposits and improve weight loss.
Ways to eat watermelon for weight loss
The ideal way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Therefore, it is important to supplement your exercise routine with a balanced diet. What makes watermelon so effective is that you’re eating a fruit that’s primarily water and low in calories, while ensuring you won’t have any other cravings between meals. Ultimately, it also means you’ll end up with lower portion sizes, which is great for weight loss, too.
The thing to remember amid this information is that most experts advise people to avoid consuming watermelon at night. This is generally due to its acidic nature and eating watermelon in any form before sleeping can delay your digestion process.
You can have watermelon as a snack after a workout as it will not compromise on the work you did sometime back. Additionally, as with anything, too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing. Try to limit your total watermelon intake to about 2 cups per day. Sometimes 1 cup is the right amount for weight loss depending on your preferences. For example, if you eat a slice of watermelon for breakfast, you can pair your lunch with three pieces of watermelon. Or have it as an evening snack before 5 pm.
The HealthifyMe Note
The best part about eating watermelon is that it keeps you full for a long time and reduces your craving for unhealthy snacks and sweets. It also helps reduce your portion sizes, which supports weight loss in the long run. However, it will help if you avoid overconsumption as it can lead to water intoxication. Also, avoid eating watermelon at night, which can hinder your digestion.
Recipes to try
Overall, take into account everything we’ve outlined for you above. You don’t have to eat watermelon just like that. There are many ways to consume this refreshing fruit. It doesn’t start or end with juice, although it’s a great option!
cold watermelon soup
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Grated watermelon: 4 cups
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Fresh mint: 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take all the ingredients and mix them together.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- Adjust seasoning as you see fit.
- Keep it in the fridge to cool for at least two hours.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Grated watermelon: 1½ cups (350 grams)
- Strawberries, sliced and frozen: 1 cup (200 grams)
- Banana, sliced and frozen: (50 g)
- Milk, unsweetened: cup (200 ml)
- two small lemons, juice
- Chia seeds: 1 Tbsp (45 grams)
- Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until you achieve a puree-like consistency.
- Adjust the consistency to suit your taste – add milk if you like a thinner smoothie or add fruit to make it thicker.
- Pour into a glass, top with chia seeds and enjoy your smoothie.
- You can turn your watermelon smoothie into a smoothie bowl by sticking to a thick consistency. Top with fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, and enjoy.
chili lemon melon
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Watermelon pieces: 4 cups
- Chili Powder: tsp (10 g)
- One lemon, zest grated and juiced
- Crumbled cheese: 3 tbsp (100 g)
- Chopped fresh coriander : 1 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Place the cut watermelon in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and chili powder. Toss well.
- Add lemon juice and sprinkle lime zest on top.
- Add crumbled paneer and cilantro. serve immediately.
All you need for this is two cups of watermelon.
- Make a puree by grinding the watermelon and pour it into the popsicle tray.
- If you don’t have one, an ice cube tray works too!
- If you want, you can also add any other fruit you want to pair with the watermelon in your popsicles. For example, strawberries or kiwis make a great pairing. All you have to do is make a puree of your favorite fruit with watermelon.
- Put it in your chiller/freezer for a few hours till it sets. Serve and enjoy.
Watermelon is not the only food item that can beat the heat. You can replace your high-calorie snacks with watermelon and be well on your journey to weight loss. Watermelon has many benefits, including hydration and satiety. Still, it can also be an important component when you work for your own well-being. While consuming watermelon helps you lose weight, it is unhealthy to limit your fruit intake only to watermelon. This means that excessive consumption of a fruit is wrong eating pattern even though it is considered to be an excellent fruit for weight loss. Achieving any goal requires the right attitude. One should work on proper diet and consistent workout regime for weight loss.